Food and Agriculture Statistics
Our global food system is enormously complex. To transform it, we first have to understand it, and we hope this ever-evolving list of facts and figures can help. We've tried to divide it into sections to make it more digestible (pun intended.)
Food Production - Global
- 37.4% of global land area is devoted to agriculture, totaling over 48.6 million square kilometers.
- The world produced about 25% more food in 2016 than in 2005.
Food Production - US
- Approximately 222 million acres (about 9% of total area) of the United States is devoted to irrigated agriculture.
Fertilizers and Chemical Treatments
- Worldwide, we apply over 140 kg of fertilizer per hectare of agricultural land per year.
Lawns and Gardens
- Lawn space totals about 128,000 square kilometers in the United States, or just over 1% of the total area of the country, but that still makes it the single largest irrigated crop in the country.
Sources1 - World Bank data: Land Use
2 - US Department of Agriculture Quick Stats
3 - NASA Earth Observatory